Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cooking with Fur

When I first began martial arts, years ago, my favorite technique was a roundhouse kick to the cat perched on the stove top. I quickly learned to feel remorseful since it was Tessa’s cat and she loved it. My senior instructor disapproved when I told him about it. “Waste of effort,” he said with a scowl. I figured it was only one of four cats and we could spare a few, but no. Tessa even taught me to love the fuzzy rodent.

I was still very much a bachelor in those days, so my kitchen patrol was decidedly unorthodox. The family and house guests partook of a certain amount of cat fur if they broke bread with us.

Pasta dishes are best at concealing cat fur, as long as lots of dark red sauce is involved. Stay away from alfredo sauce if you haven’t had time to wipe the counters thoroughly. And the walls and ceiling and fan blades. Always serve a dark dessert such as chocolate ice cream. Preferably a chocolate with chocolate chunks and maybe even some kind of glitter, as the irregularity of the texture will camouflage all colors of fur. If you don’t believe me, just cut a piece of key lime pie or dig out a scoop of vanilla ice cream and wave it over your fur-covered counter. A single filament of cat hair will make it look like Don King in a headlock.

Dammit, there’s a hair in my beer while I’m writing this. This is a light Milwaukee-brewed domestic before me. You are so busted if you serve this in any kind of pub glass in a fur kitchen. Dark lagers and ales afford the best fur camouflage. But if you’re going to serve it in glasses, better be an old pro. If you’re not willing to take the risk, just serve it in the bottle. If your guest asks for a glass, give him the coffee mug your daughter made in the Girl Scouts crafts unit. Something with a very mottled texture and lots of dark reds, browns, and dark browns.

By now, you may be thinking, Oh, Fred. This isn’t true. You’re just making this up to deter family and friends from dropping by over the holidays. Well, the truth is that I haven’t knowingly cooked with fur since I earned my first brown belt. I have grown meticulous about wiping the counters and kitchen ceiling fan regularly. If you walk up the front ramp unannounced, rest assured I will blow the kitchen table with my own life’s breath to send most of the cat fur to the floor before your finger hits the doorbell, and I’ll have a canned Milwaukee’s Best in your hand before your ass hits the chair. All I ask is that, if you find pet hair on your food or drink, just swallow it and be a good sport.

10 comments:

TessaLeFae said...

Huh-huh-hu, you said swallow it.

Pearl said...

As the indentured servant to two cats, I refuse to commisserate.

There has never been -- and I'm talking to anyone who has ever had a meal at my house, now! -- cat hair in your food.

Ever. Really. I just happen to serve a lot of dark red sauces as well.

Pearl

Fred Miller said...

If I'm ever at your table, Pearl, I'll swear to its cleanliness, no matter how much fur I have to swallow.

Hope I said that right.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Brown belts hide cat fur.

Fred Miller said...

I want everyone to know that greatness has visited my blog. Thanks, Bloggess. I kiss your ankles.

Angela said...

Greetings, Bloggess! Fred is crazy, but I didn't do it. Loved your blog, which I visited after reading about it here. Stop my mine, which is in its infancy, actually, not even quite that far yet, if you ever care to.
http://angelahowdidyoudothat.blogspot.com/2010/06/whoa-blog-me.html

Fred Miller said...

It's a lie, Bloggess. Ange is highly culpable. She's my sister. She's the oldest in the family. And, she's my GODmother! So that joke about vagina hair and the Lord. Partly Ange. She's so awesome!

Anonymous said...

*COUGH*
=]

Fred Miller said...

Sweet Cheeks. I love you. Ya big wuss!

Angela said...

Hey, most of those jokes you got from Gabe. Well, some of them. Never mind where Gabe got them....that's not important....